About this Resource
What is it?
MyGovernment™ will help you find, research, and contact your elected officials.
How Does it Work?
Just remember HOME - WHO - WHAT - WHERE
HOME: The Basic Guide to U.S. Government with a clear but comprehensive look at the constitution and the three branches of government, How Laws are Made in Congress, How to Contact your Legislators, and a Guide to Becoming a U.S. Citizen are all found at the HOME tab.
The ‘WHO’ tab provides candidate data including basic information from address and phone number to more in-depth material, including religion, number of children, military service, past occupations and committees and caucuses. If you are looking for a person, or group of people, use the WHO tab.
WHAT: Search for legislators and executives within federal and state departments and agencies that work directly on issues that they’re studying or are in the news. Use the WHAT tab when you are looking for something by subject or keyword.
WHERE: A complete list of the elected officials is available based on zip code. From the President down to local county or municipal officials, users get contact information, background and biographical data, even photos for many legislators and elected official. Use the WHERE tab when you are looking for elected officials based on where you live or where you work, or where your mom lives, etc.
To see MyGovernment en Espanol, click this link on the home screen: HAGA CLIC AQUÍ PARA VERSIÓN EN ESPAÑOL
Where do I go to find it?
From the library website, click Research / Premium Sites / MyGovernment
MyGovernment only needs a current web browser. No user accounts are needed, just your library card and PIN.
What Directories are included?
- Congress - All Members (House and Senate), key staff, all district or state offices, Member biographies, background info and photographs; all committees and subcommittees with jurisdictions.
- Federal Executive Branch - President, Vice President and other top people in the White House, Cabinet departments and independent agencies including the key officials and detailed descriptive data.
- State Legislative - All state legislators (House/Assembly and Senate), district offices, legislator biographies, background info and photographs; all committees and subcommittees with memberships.
- State Executive Branch - Governor, Lt. Governor, Secretary of State, Attorney General and other key department and agency officials.
- County Elected Officials - County board members and other elected officials from every county in the U.S. that has an organized government body.
- Municipal Elected Officials - City Councils, Township Supervisors, Municipal Boards and other elected officials for municipalities with populations greater than 10,000 people.